Monday, February 18, 2013

Life Lens

I apologize for the lack of material on here lately. Life has been busy in good and not so good ways. Some recent events have really forced me to think a little deeper about the value of life and the significance of doing the most with what we have.

My grandfather was recently hospitalized after slipping on ice and getting severe head trauma. My grandfather is very dear to me and it was so hard to imagine life without him. There were so many close calls where we thought he was gone after he had first been admitted to the hospital. But through the blessing of God he has so far pulled through. It's still hard, but he's alive and I've gotten to visit him on a couple of occasions. Those visits were such a blessing.

With his hospitalization I really started thinking how amazing it is that so many of us can live so long and accomplish so many things. It is truly a wonder that, no matter the length of lifespan, we can all do some good if we choose to. My grandpa has done a lot of good in his life time and I know that even if he had passed away that first day that he would still have lived a fulfilled life and that he was a positive impact. It made me realize that I need to change now and become that force of good. I've got no time to lose. If we think about it, all we really have is this moment. Nothing more is guaranteed. So we need to do our best with what we have.

Another experience I observed recently was the passing away of a resident assistant in my apartment complex. She was a bright, bubbly girl who, I felt, was a great example to those around her. Unfortunately, she experienced a physical trial that was more than her body could take and she was carried away to our Heavenly Father. 

Now I don't confess to know her that well. But I do know that she made the most of what she had. Her short life was likely well spent. 

Which leads to self evaluation: what are you doing with your life? Are you wasting it on trivial things or are you using the time you have to improve the lives of those around you?

It's our trials that tell us who we are. They give us experience, as well as opportunities to look outside ourselves. It is my hope that we don't have to go through the hard stuff to whip us into shape, but if we do, learn the lesson that is intended, don't dwell on the negative, and make someone else's life better.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment