Monday, November 5, 2012

Optimist vs Realist Lens

So I've been hearing two sides of an interesting debate lately: is it better to be an optimist or a realist. The realists argue that it is pointless to be overly positive because the world isn't perfect, but also pointless to be pessimist 'cause the world doesn't entirely suck. You just need to see things as they really are. The optimists argue that it can't hurt to be a little extra positive. It's kind of the whole life is meant to be enjoyed not just endured concept. I'm not sure who I side with but I would love to share some great experiences ;) (of course).

During church yesterday this guy shared how he felt lately that, for whatever reason, his life was just really good and he was able to find the good in every day, even when his roommates couldn't. It sounded a little silly at first, but then I thought, well, that's kind of what I'm sellin' on my blog: every day can be beautiful. There is always something good that we kind find about life, even when it is really really hard. So I quickly grew to agree with him, and even though I probably can't face each day as perky-like as he probably can, it doesn't hurt to complain less and enjoy what is good in life more.

I had a realist story to share but I'm kind of tired and forgot. But I think it was along the lines of: I was complaining and my friend gently reminded me that I was wrong and how the situation really was. It wasn't necessarily a pep-talk, but it certainly made me reframe my thinking.

So moral of the story is that we could all do well to change our outlook on life a little. Shift your thinking until you can see the good in each day. I think a clearer outlook helps us see the beauty of life easier.

much love always
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment