Sunday, September 23, 2012

Friends Lens


The great thing about starting at a new school is the chance to meet new people and reinvent yourself. That's probably why I was excited to go to Jr. High, High School, and now College. I'm not defined as the person I was anymore. I have the chance to be a new me and let everyone else do the same.


So anyways, the point of this post isn't to revel in my new identity, it is to discuss my new concept of friendship. Friendship is such a broad thing and I feel like my definition of it keeps changing. So Mr. Webster, here is my version of a "friend": a person who can coexist with you (both immediately close and long distance) on relatively good terms. This probably sounds general and contrary to the purpose of having friends, but my current experiences have led me to believe this is now fact.

For instance, my roommates and I don't see each other frequently, but we live immediately close to each other and are on very good terms with one another. No, we don't know each others' entire lives and secrets and opinions, etc, but that doesn't matter. We are still friends.

My friend T. is also down at college with me and I only see her when we go to swing club together. (that has been twice thus far) Yes, we spent a month with each other in a foreign country so we know a lot about each other, but what is more important is that when we see each other we enjoy each other's company because we can coexist well. We relate to each other well, and it doesn't matter if it's been a few months or a couple weeks since we've seen each other, our relationship remains.

Another friend, A., moved to another country so our friendship is most definitely long distance. Despite the distance, every time I hear from her it makes me happy. We are on good terms (and will remain so) even though we don't hang out on the weekends.

I guess my point is that in high school (and younger) the common understanding is that you generally fit in somewhere. You had a group, or a go-to friend, or something else that defined your friendships. Friends were the ones you could hang out with on the weekends. They were the ones that new your life and you knew there's. (this is all hypothetical based on observed popular belief of course) Most of my friends no longer live near me (well, not many did before, but that's beside the fact). We're all heading in different directions waiting to see what life hands us. But in the end, our common enjoyment of one another will keep us together, even if that means long distance.

A second, subtle point I was kind of trying to make too is that not everyone you meet, not every acquaintance qualifies as a friend. To be on relatively good terms with someone, you must have gotten to know them enough to know you CAN coexist on good terms.

It's late and I think my logic is no longer making sense. And maybe it never did. I'll try again tomorrow with a different topic. Maybe after I've recovered from my Swing high and attended the temple dedication tomorrow I'll be mellow enough to be coherent.

Peace. Love. Good thoughts. Be grateful for what you have and who you have. Good night!

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment