Tuesday, September 11, 2012

New Concept

So basically life happened and I haven't blogged in... well... a really long time. And I decided I kind of missed it. So here I am. Back on my digital diary of sort. But this time I wont be posting my artwork. Sadly I don't create much of it anymore. My days of
are somewhat over. Picnik closed for one, and for two I quite honestly just don't have enough time to dork around like I used to. But though my days of dedication to creating art are currently escaping me, I'd still like to take time to comment on the art that surrounds me. Hopefully I can add images now and then to share the beauty of what I see, but if not, I'll leave it to the imagination to appreciate what the world has to offer. I've taken on a new lens. One that is a result of being apart of a technologically advanced/dependent generation. One that is determined to seek the good, the beautiful, the inspiring. To make the monotonous days of college and work more interesting and full of purpose. Cheers to a new beginning!

I find it very fitting that today is the day I choose to start seeking the beautiful and inspiring. On this solemn day for our country I had the most excellent opportunity to witness part of a ceremony honoring those who died on 9-11-01 and the soldiers involved in the fight for freedom. I assume it was also honoring the many police men/women and firefighters and civilians who assisted in safety and recovery. [To those who died I wish you the greatest mansions in heaven. To those who survived I wish the rest of your eternities to be blessed and peaceful] Anyways, I was able to find a few professional pictures on BYU's website of the event and I wanted to share them because they really struck me. So here they are:


 What I found particularly beautiful about these was the show of patriotism and brotherhood. I think our country is lacking both. People become divided about so many things that it makes me wonder what keeps us together sometimes. But then I see things like this and it gives me hope that humanity isn't completely lost. (get used to me using slightly over-dramatic phrases like that) And not only was it touching to watch these dear soldiers, but to see the reaction of the student body. During ceremonial parts (ie presentation of the folded flag and roses, honorary firing of guns, etc) many students would pause, look towards the flag and observe silently. I feel like we often have too many places to be, too fast, for a variety of reasons, but when we take a moment to pause and reflect we can see that life isn't about being the one who gets the most done. Life is about making your own contribution to the history of the world in whatever small way you can and improving yourself. In a dying person's last moment they probably aren't lamenting that they didn't do the laundry, dishes, study for 6 hours, and actively participate in multiple clubs. They are probably concerned about the state of their soul, wondering who they could have helped more, hoping their life meant something.

I think we should take the chance to look inward a little and see if we are contributing to the beauty of the earth or idly letting it waste away. Just something to think about.


-M 

No comments:

Post a Comment