Saturday, October 13, 2012

Busy Lens

I feel like people often complain that they just need a break. They need time to relax and recuperate. Have these people actually had these imagined hiatuses? Or have they just been doing it wrong? Not sure, but I've decided it's better to have things to do than nothing. I think there are many benefits and that people just need to find balance.

For example (there is always an example) today at work I had things to do or people to talk to basically the entire time, and you know what, something magical happened: work FLEW by. By the time my replacement J. came in I was completely surprised to see him. Normally I'm counting down the minutes, but since I had things to do I didn't have any time to complain to myself how bored I was. Having nothing to do does not equal time to relax. Having nothing to do means you're wasting time. It seems like there is always something more to do and doing things helps the time go by faster. (I guess that could be a good or bad thing) 

I think someone is going to need to remind me of this post in a few months when Winter semester starts, but it is a blessing to be busy. I thank the Lord for having meaningful things to do each day. Because the more we seek to keep ourselves busily involved in good, productive things the more good opportunities we will receive. At least that's what I've found; the best opportunities come at the busiest moments.

Granted, being busy is only good if it is busy in meaningful work. Busying oneself with social media, online games, or other things that could prevent us from seeing the big picture is not good. One of my favorite quotes is, "Don't let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved." -President Monson. So stay busy, but prioritize your life and involve yourself in good things. I think this will make life more meaningful.

-M

Got a thought to share or whatever else? Shoot me an email at summer15@studentbody.byu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment